A young man stabbed two people Friday outside the former Paris offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, where 12 people were killed in 2015, and a terrorism investigation has been opened into the new attack, authorities said.The suspected assailant had been arrested a month ago for carrying a screwdriver but was not on police radar for Islamic radicalization, France’s interior minister said. He said the screwdriver was considered a weapon, but did not explain why.“Manifestly it’s an act of Islamist terrorism,” Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said in an interview with public broadcaster France-2. “Obviously, there is little doubt. It’s a new bloody attack against our country, against journalists, against this society.”Two people were wounded in Friday’s attack, and two suspects were arrested, although the links between the two suspects weren’t immediately clear.The main suspect, a young man with speckles of blood on his forehead and wearing orange gym shoes, was arrested on the steps of the Bastille Opera in eastern Paris, authorities said.The site is not far from where Friday’s attack took place, outside the building where the weekly Charlie Hebdo was located before the 2015 attack.The interior minister said the assailant arrived in France three years ago as an unaccompanied minor, apparently from Pakistan, but his identity was still being verified.But “there was an attack so we could have done better,” he said. The minister said he has ordered special protection for all “symbolic sites,” noting in particular Jewish sites ahead of the Yom Kippur holiday this weekend. A Jewish grocery store was targeted days after the Charlie Hebdo newsroom massacre in what authorities say were coordinated attacks.Charlie Hebdo recently reproduced caricatures of the Muslim prophet that stoked the ire of some Muslims when first produced.
You can share this post!